Sunday 22 May 2022

Freetrain - Hydro 1

I AM A big fan of the Freetrain vest, but the Hydro One takes the designed and makes it more useable.   If you already have a vest and thinking about buying the Hydro One then then these are the points that stood out for me.

The vest is wider with two distict sides, the first side is the same as the Freetrain vest and allows you to hold your mobile phone also, and important to me, a debit card and small amount of cash.   The ability to make contact and be able to get home if you have a mishap is paramount, especially if you are going off road.

Recently I was running down hill and tripped on a tree route, I literally took off and came down hard on the ground.   Grounding on my forearms, chest and knees for the first time I had to call Mrs. 50+ and get her to pick me up.   I didn't walk for two days due to the pain.   I was off road, but had the ability to make contact or get a taxi home.

The other side gives you a flexible water bottle (included in the price), not something I normally worry too much about, but the good weather is now here and running off road having some water is essential.   The bottle is on your chest and the Freetrain vest does not "bounce" when you run, it's so well designed that you forget it's there.   How do you bring the two sides together?   With a zip up the middle which is brilliant, no more pulling it on/off over your head, adjustments to the straps just became easier.

It still has two pouches on the shoulder straps for gels or car keys, but the zip up one has gone (pity as I felt this was great for key security when running), but there are velcro straps, so your keys are not going anywhere.

There is so much more going on with Hydro One that make it worth the investment and to top it off there is a pouch on the back for other lightweight things.   Highly recommended for training runs, especially when going off road for shorter distances (13 miles), but for ultras you probably need to carry more water and another produce is needed for higher amount of water.




No comments:

Post a Comment