Sunday 24 February 2019

Review of the week w/c 18th February 2019

LUCKILY THE week started on rest days, so I managed to get out and get quite a bit done.

Hybrid Boxing

After a hard week it's good to get out and bash the hell out of something. It kicks those endorphin levels up a notch and gets rid of the pent up frustration.   The session was held at the Dolphin Leisure Centre by personal trainer Mr. Swift.   Five people showed up and it turned into a brilliant one hour session.   Plenty of upper body strength and core exercises as well as the usual combination punches.   The session just wouldn't have been complete without a chicken kebab on the way home with full salad.   Great day.

Haywards Heath Harriers

I wote a blog last week about the benefits of belonging to a running club and Tuesday's session was a really good example.

Started an hour early for 45 minutes of strength and conditioning exercises.   I know that when I go for a run I exercise certain muscle groups.   But what about the muscles behind that support them?   Running groups give you access to top quality coaches that have UK Athletics training to help you with these questions and ensure you are on the right road.

Once done we hit the road with a run from Cuckfield down to Haywards Heath.   We then went into circuits with hills that were quite taxing but I came out of it feeling really good.   Then there was the run back to Cuckfield for the finish.   Really good session with Martin leading the coaching and giving some quality advice along the way.

In total the run turned into 9.4K.   Excellent start to the week, but feeling the burn from Hatton Boxing the day before.

 

Wednesday run

I had some time to myself in the morning as the missus had a theatre trip planned in the evening.   At a loose end I seized the moment and went for a training run with the promise of a shower and hot coffee at the end of it.

The aim of the run was simple, take the long route but detour to cut it down a little bit (due to time constraints).   It was a beautiful sunny day and I wanted to take full advantage of that by getting off road.   It looked a little wet and I knew there could be some issues with mud once I hit the wooded areas.   But hey, it's a beautiful day, and I needed to get out for a little bit.

I took my usual route going towards Lindfield and circling the Bent Arms before heading back to the Heath and round past Sainbury's.   Went up towards Miller and Carter and took a detour through Ashenground Woods.   It was a little damp underfoot but nothing unusual and it turned into a refreshing run which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Brighton Half Marathon

Sunday 24th February is Brighton Half Marathon.   I wanted to do this but I have work commitments and couldn't get the day off.   Talk about frustrated, especially as I am sitting here looking at sun and blue skies, perfect for a run.

My Whatsapp is going mad with news from Brighton as the Haywards Heath Harriers are running a storm down there.   Looks like Brighton is painted beetroot.   We like to call ourselves the Beetroom Army due to the club colours.   In a recent competition the winners won all the ingredients to make Beetroot and Stilton soup.   That's how serious the name is!

I did manage to get a pre work run in before I needed to leave for work, so the day wasn't lost and it ends the week perfectly.   Next week there won't be so much activity as my shifts will stop me from taking part in my usual Monday and Tuesday events.





No comments:

Post a Comment