Monday 24 June 2019

Aberdare Parkrun

Genuine Welsh Parkrun sign!

I HEARD on the grapevine that Aberdare had started a new Parkrun and thought that I would check it out, even though I wanted to have another crack at Pontypridd!   The upside of it was Aberdare was closer and easier to get to giving me a whole extra five minutes in bed!
I have been to Aberdare a number of times over the years but never realised they had a park until very recently so I was quite excited about this..even though I have never actually been in there!

There was a really good turnout and talking to runners on the start line it turned out that it wasn't a brand new run.  The previous week was their first  anniversary and this was their 50th run.   I was only one week late for the first anniversary, I was pleased with that.

Aberdare Parkrun start line.   On your marks ...
Starting the run we headed clockwise arond the park and at the back gate took a small detour and got back on course again.   Coming round to the front gate we headed for the lake and where the finish line was.   It was then I spotted it, the imposing hill that took you up to the start line and end of the first lap.

This was quite challenging being both steep and quite long.   It certainly drained your strength but at least once you made it to the top you had a good recovery time before coming round to the hill again.   In total the course is three and three quarter laps.

Aberdate Parkrun in Welsh, think it's going to rain, style.
This is a beautiful park, so much more than I expected and the run director was so welcoming that it was made even more enjoyable.   Now I have two Welsh park runs between which to split my allegiance.



No comments:

Post a Comment