Sunday 9 June 2019

Future in journalism? Probably not!

IT'S STRANGE when I think back.   When I left school I got into printing and did a four year apprenticeship with Surrey and South East London Newspapers in Redhill.   One of my longest standing friends started at the same time as an apprentice journalist.

With all the changes in the printing world I ended up following a different path after working in many different areas from newspapers and magazines, to commercial and security printing.
 
Then I get asked if I can write a report for the Littlehampton Beach Run which is part of the West Sussex Fun Run League.   I was quite happy to do this and I stepped in to organise the Harriers, get the race numbers together and ensure everybody turned up at the start line.   I even managed to get a team picture.

After writing the short piece I was asked if they could credit it to me.   I thought why not when I have gone to the trouble of doing it and a little acknowledgement is not to be sniffed at. So I agreed and it came out in The Middy with the byline, "Beach report and photos by Michael Parish."   I am very proud of this and feel a greater part of the running community.

After this I offered to do it again and cover the Lindfield Village 10km and this piece was printed along with some other bits under the byline, "Athletics by Michael Parish".   Couldn't believe that when it turned up in print!

My next endeavour is a report on the Worthing 10km which has been submitted along with the Harriers takeover of Clair Park Run this week.   So it's going to be interesting to see if that turns up in print as well.

I think I should be taking this a little more seriously as it could be a new challenge. They say that luck happens when preparation meets opportunity...

No comments:

Post a Comment