Sunday 21 April 2019

Bank Holiday Friday

I PLANNED a training run on Friday in preparation for the West Sussex Fun Run League (WSFRL) 10k at Lewes and Run Gatwick.

Woke up and it was a beautiful day, so got ready and headed out for at least a 12k run.   I was looking forward to going around Lindfield, through Haywards Heath and over to Cuckfield before the long run back.

The run started well, but I had underestimated how hot it actually was!   Luckily I had taken a bottle of water with me and I started to use that throughout the course.   This made me start to think about the runs coming up and what if they were also on hot days?   How can I get through a 13.1 mile run without the proper fuel and hydration.   Luckily Run Gatwick were giving out information which I will be following and I have also shared it because the advice is good.

I have been experiementing with SIS Energy Gels to see if they are effective or not.   Up to 10k I find i don't need to use them.   Once I am just over 10k I start to get tired and my leg muscles start to ache.   I have found a few minutes after using one of the gels, my energy levels do recover and the dull ache stops which allows me to get much further.

I don't think I will need them for the Lewes run, but I have a bottle of Lucozade Sports for after the run.   Gatwick is going to the one to test the gels to see how effective they are.

By the time I got home I decided to take on the jungle of my garden.   The patio and path all needed some attention, the borders down both sides needed weeding (and there were a lot of weeds in there), the grass needed cutting and there were a lot of bushes that needed cutting back.

It wasn't easy with aching muscles from the run and having to keep kneeling up and down!   Got close to finishing but had to do the last bits the following day.   It was good to put everything away at the end of the day and have a soak in the bath.   With the sweat from the run and dirt from the garden the bath looked dreadful! Missus says it reminded her of my return from my first Glastonbury which was a mudfest!!


No comments:

Post a Comment