Thursday 4 April 2019

South Wales

SOMETIMES I have some good ideas that just don't quite happen.    Over the weekend I went to South Wales with the wife for her friends 60th birthday party.   The plan was to go up on the Friday and do Ynysangharad Park Run in Pontypridd on the Saturday and then go for a run across the Brecon Beacons on the Sunday morning.

Ynysangharad Park Run

This is now my second home Park Run as it's just down the road from the mother-in-laws.   The aim today was to try and achieve the 5k in 27 minutes.   I keep persevering to do this and it never quite works out!

It was a beautiful day and there were a lot of people who turned up for the run (between 300 and 400).   The course comprised of a short loop followed by three big loops of the park.

We started off towards the bridge and turned left along a single track pathway, this was the most tricky part of the run, with all those people trying to get through it became a bottle neck and I had to hit the brakes for a while.   Coming out of that the runners between to filter out and the going became clearer.

Ynysangharad park is beautiful in the middle of Pontypridd, which is currently undergoing a mjaor rejuvination project.   The marshalls were excellent giving runners the motivation to keep going.

The time was getting on and wasn't sure if I was going to get close to the 27 minutes, so I upped the pace and just went for the last part as fa


st as I could.   Final time for 5k was 27:20!   So close but if I had put myself further at the front of the run I could have achieved it.

Brecon Beacons

We went out for the 60th birthday on the Saturday evening and my plan was to enjoy it and have a couple of beers.   In reality it was a really good birthday party and I may (or may not) have gone over the couple of pints!

I don't normally drink a lot, but that went out the window and by the time the morning came round I wasn't going for the run!   Scores on the doors in traditional pints Run 0 Beer 10.   So that was a great evening then!

So that was two things I learnt over the weekend.
1. Get further to the front at Park Run.
2. Stick to the two pints before going for a run the next morning.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment