Monday 25 March 2019

Lake Vyrnwy (North Wales)

I REMEMBERED seeing a BBC programme on the drowned village at the bottom of Lake Vyrnwy in North Wales that had stunningly spectacular scenery. 

In the summer of 1877 the City Council of Liverpool were looking for a site for a new reservoir to provide more water for the ever expanding population.   Various sites were under consideration in northern England and Wales. In the summer Mr Deacon, the city engineer of  Liverpool, arrived in Llanwddyn to investigate the possibility of damming the river Vyrnwy at a point somewhere below the village to create a large, artificial lake.


Lake Vyrnwy before the flooding.
Mr Deacon presented his report to the Liverpool Corporation on 27th November 1877.   It was accepted in principle and in 1880 the Liverpool Corporation Waterworks Act was passed by Parliament, and received the Royal Assent on 6th August.   Work began on the site in July 1881, commemorated by a stone laid at the northern end of the dam on 14th July by the Earl of Powys.   This can be seen today with two others commemorating later stages of the work.


A further building task was called for in the re-housing of the people whose homes had disappeared under the waters of the lake.   In keeping with the quality of the dam, fine, solid, stone houses were erected on either side of the valley immediately below it, and these can still be seen and admired a century later.   The villagers were all moved out and the valley flooded losing two chapels, three pubs, 10 farms and 37 houses.

I googled Lake Vyrnwy and looked over the images and discovered they had a hotel.   That was it, I had this vision of me running across the dam and felt it just had to be done.

Lake Vyrnwy from our hotel room's window.
The wife being from South Wales was very happy with my plan. She has never been to North Wales so we booked it.   I went on Google Earth and discovered a "B road" that goes round the entire lake although I was looking for an off road route.  I am well used to road running and this was perfect.   I looked at a virtual run of the road and found that it was just under 12 miles in total, not far off a half marathon.   Now I was motivated to do it.

We arrived and booked into the hotel with our room having an amazing lake view.    I remember looking at it and thinking, "Oh crap".   I couldn't actually see the end of it because it was too far away, but it looked beautiful and I couldn't wait to give it a go.

The wife said, "You have two hours to get back by 9am or I'm going for breakfast on my own."   I set the alarm clock for 06:00 woke groggily, got my kit on in the dark and went down stairs for the warm up.   Luckily I was on my own so used one of the communal areas to get myself warmed up and raise my heart rate.

Out into the cold morning and I started the run down the hotel driveway.   At that time in the morning I had the whole place to myself.   I still had my wife's motivating words in my head which was why I had left at 06:30 giving me an extra half hour, just in case.   All I needed to do was reach the other end of the lake in one hour which would allow me another hour to get back on the opposite side.

Crossing the Dam.
Halfway around, and coming up to the top of the lake the road took a sudden turn to the right because there was a spur and I felt I was going in the wrong direction!   I needed to connect with the end of the Lake and and get to the other side.   Eventually the road went around and I went across the top of the Lake and started heading back towards the hotel.   I was only a few minutes behind schedule and was feeling good (I still had my 30 minutes safety blanket).


The right hand side of the road on this side of the lake had steep inclines with the most amazing small waterfalls.   I kept thinking that a car was coming up behind me, but it was water running off the mountains and feeding into the lake.   This has to be one of the most beautiful runs that I have ever done.

Running back to the hotel was slightly tougher.   The hills started to come in.  They weren't really big or really steep but they needed to be conquered.   Also the route back was a bit winding so the distance was longer.   I kept thinking, "Once I see the hotel I don't have much further to go."   Then I saw it and knew the goal was within reach.

The dam at the bottom of the lake.
Regardless of the spur at the bottom of the lake and the meandering water line on the other side of the lake the distance was still the same.   Just under 12 miles that I completed in 2 hours and 4 minutes.   I did stop for a while at the dam and take a few photos.   The sight of all the water going over it was amazing.   The view was enjoyed by me and two cyclists who had also stopped.

Back at the hotel the wife was up and ready and drumming her fingers.   Luckily I am not stupid enough to get in the way of a Welsh woman and her full Welsh breakfast.   A quick shower, dressed and off.   The wife sat there watching me ... bowl of muesli with nuts and fruit, two Danish pastries, full Welsh cooked breakfast (sausage, bacon, black pudding, potato croquette, mushroom, grilled tomato and beans), finished off with a round of toast with honey.

I don't normally have a big breakfast but it was included in the stay.   Come on!  I had just done a 12 mile run and 'hungry' just didn't cover it!

And finally the video of the run with some pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment