Sunday 10 March 2019

Review of the week w/c 4th March 2019

THIS WEEK my shifts fell in a kinder way for me to get out a little bit more.   My twitter feed has suddenly picked up (@50running) with a few more followers which is really amazing.

Hybrid boxing

Monday was a great day as I finished my first early shift, having woken at 04:00.   In the evening I went to the Hatton Boxing session at the Dolphin Leisure Centre.   Another really good session with four of us there taking on upper body exercises and pad sessions.   Great session to compliment running, especially when you improve both upper body strength and core.   The downside was I had to get a fast shower, have something to eat and get to bed for another early start the next day!

Haywards Heath Harriers

On Tuesday I headed over to Cuckfield for Harriers training.   Turned up early to attend the 45 minute strength and conditioning session with Martin.   It was just me to begin with then two more people turned up.   So I managed to have a good one to one with the coach which was brilliant.   During the warm up the coach noticed that when running I clench my fists and tense my upper body.   We did a few exercises to release that so that I should run more freely; quality coaching right there.

After the (second) warm up we stayed in Cuckfield for circuits and hill reps.   Really tough but a great session.   Came away from that feeling the love especially after my second day of getting up at 04:00.   At least I was lates the following day so had the opportunity of a lie in, bloody luxury!

I took it easy for the next two days as things were feeling a little tight and it wasn't until Friday that I was itching for another run.

Friday Run

I had the morning to myself so went for my usual medium run around Haywards Heath.   Part way round I decided to get off the road and take a detour over Haywards Heath Golf Club.   It wasn't until I got to the end of Finches Lane that things suddenly started to get a bit muddy!

That was when the fun really started and I was past the point of no return.   So I took the bull by the horns and just tried to power through, hoping that I didn't end up anywhere too deep!   It was really good for both my ankle mobility and leg muscles so I can't really complain and I only went down on my knees once!

Came back on to the road with trainers, knees and bottom of my leggings covered in mud and headed for the High St. and back towards home.   I think I startled a few shoppers into making spontaneous purchases as I ran past!   Hot shower and a coffee with brioche was very welcome when I got home. 

 

Park Run

I was looking forward to Park Run on Saturday.   But I got stuck in the Bermuda Triangle between night shifts!   Shift working normally means you miss out on a lot and have to try and fit things in when and how you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment