Sunday 3 March 2019

Review of the week w/c 25th February 2019

THIS WAS one of those weeks where my shifts fell poorly.   My usual fitness class and training session with Haywards Heath Harriers wan't possible due to late shifts.   Even the move from lates to nights didn't work due to a change in shifts (finished 0200 then started at 1400).   So not much opportunity to get out and it feels like I have only been working and nothing else.   But things like that happen and you have to look for opportunites as and when they come up.

Cardiff Half Marathon

The missus was born in Wales and I only married her to get the passport (that didn't work well for me) but at least I don't have to pay at the bridge anymore!   So, this is her home turf that I am thinking of taking on, better not mess this one up!

I wanted to take this on last year but I couldn't get the time off work.   This year it falls during a period of pre-arranged annual leave and we have plans to be in Wales.   So it's all booked up and I'm looking forward to a running adventure through Cardiff  including running around Torchwood HQ, otherwise known as the Millennium Centre.

This is the third half marathon that I have signed up for this year and I have now added an extra page for my booked events.   I am waiting for dates for the local village days (Lindfield has a 10k and Ardingly has an 8k).   There is the usual National Trust run where places are very limited and they are talking about a second one at a different site this year which could be good.   They dates have been announced and I am just waiting for the places to be advertised.

The elusive 27 minutes

Friday was the day to get out for a run.   I had a friend coming over to go out for a beer (or three) and watch a movie.   I had the dinner all sorted out, knew which pub we were going to and the movie was all set to go, so took the opportunity whilst I could.

When I started taking part in Park Run I was trying to figure out what a good time looked like.   I settled on an impossible target for myself of 5k in 27 minutes.   I think the more athletic members were achieving that and I grabbed it as a target.  My first Park Run was 48 minutes!

So part way round my run I realised that I was close to the target.   I took a quick detour to see if for once I could hit the target and started to get quite excited about the whole thing.   Didn't make it though!  28:30!!   One minute and 30 seconds off, so close and yet so far.   Still there's always another day.

What is this weather doing?

Today was the last day of the week to get a run in and the rain and wind came down!   I don't mind running in the rain but not on days like this!

You have to take the positives where you can so I settled for a gym session to work on my upper body strength and core.   Managed to get a lot of weights in along with using the 10kg sandbag and did some core exercises.   I don't feel the day was wasted and my shifts fall better next week to get back into my normal (whatever that is) routine.

Back to work tomorrow morning ...

No comments:

Post a Comment