Sunday 28 April 2019

West Sussex Fun Run League - Lewes 10km

THE WEST Sussex Fun Run League (WSFRL) is made up of 18 running clubs from all over Sussex.   Each club holds one annual event per year which gives you 18 fun runs!   These are open to all runners regardless of whether you are a member of a running club or not.   Many of the races are run over the stunning South Downs and cost just £3 to enter with the emphasis on the fun run element.

Don't expect a medal and T-Shirt on these runs,  They are well organised events for the love of running and give you the opportunity to run Sussex taking in some of the beautiful countryside and oldest towns and villages in the county.   You may not get some flash goodies from these events but you will get a rather nice race bib!

Click here for the WSFRL webpage.  

Bank Holiday Monday was the turn of Lewes Athletics Club to hold their annual 10km.   I only found about this league late last year and have only managed to run two (Tilgate and Horsham).   So, this was my first run with the Lewes Athletes.

I arrived at the Lewes race track on what turned out to be a very hot and sunny day.   Found the Haywards Heath Harriers aka the "Beetroot Army" encampment and started my warm up for the run.   With all the running clubs putting up their flags and race colours it looked more like a Lewes invasion force than a running event!

I started off quite strong completing half of the athletics track and out into a small lane heading for the A27 pedestrian underpass.  After that it was out into the country using footpaths.   I suddenly became very aware of how hot it was.   Running in the open using footpaths and across fields you feel quite exposed to the elements.

Thank heavens the route was well marked out as I didn't have a clue where I was a lot of the time.   I remember going through the village of Iford which was beautiful before heading back towards Lewes.

At the 6km mark I was beginning to really feel it because of the heat.   My trustee bandana did it's job in keeping the sun off my head.  The last thing I wanted was to end up with sun stroke or a sunburned head!

After the harsh dry footpaths the athletics track was a welcome relief. I couldn't believe how springy it felt.   There was a line of runners in front of me and I suddenly found my second wind and with the finish line in sight half way around the track I just went for it.   I lost count of the number of people I overtook but crossing that finish line felt really bloody good.


I was aiming to achieve the 10km in one hour.   At 6km I didn't think I could achieve it because of the heat and went across the finish line at 1 hour and 30 seconds.







No comments:

Post a Comment